This delicious and filling Potato Casserole is made with eggs, cheese and Bacon. Perfect make-ahead breakfast and can easily feed a crowd.
Breakfast casserole is one of the best and easiest recipes that you can make. This casserole has eggs, potatoes, cheese and crispy bacon. While eggs take care of the protein requirement of the meal, Potatoes makes it filling. While it is a perfect holiday breakfast, this can be enjoyed on any day.
Breakfast Casserole are the best
There are so many reasons why breakfast casseroles are the best
- Nutritious and filling - has a good proportion of protien, carbs and fat.
- You can easily scale up or scale down the recipe. You can make a big batch to feed a crowd.
- Want to prep in advance ? Do all the prep and mixing the night before. Keep the baking tray in the refrigirator. Bake it next day morning.
- Very versatile recipe. You can add veggies of your choice.
- If you are into meal prep, casserole works best. It freezes and reheat really well.
Steps to make Potato Breakfast Casserole
Making potato breakfast casserole is simple. The whole process can be divided into two steps. The first step is to make the egg mixture and next it to bake.
Start by cooking the bacon. Use kitchen scissors to cut bacon strips into 1inch pieces. cook until crispy. Darin all the bacon fat from the pan, leaving behind 2 teaspoons of fat. Then reserve a couple of tablespoons of cooked bacon to use later.
Next is to cook onion and garlic until soft and aromatic.
Fresh vs Frozen Diced Potatoes
Then add cubed potatoes. I have used fresh potatoes. Peel and cut into ½ inch cubes. If using fresh cubed potato I recommend cooking it halfway through on the stovetop and the rest of it will get cooked while baking it.
I have found cooking potato directly with egg, results in overcooked eggs. But by adding half-cooked potatoes, the egg remains creamy and custard-like once it is baked.
But you can skip the process of peeling, cutting and cooking potatoes, by using frozen diced potatoes. Frozen diced potatoes are already pre-cooked, so it is more convenient to use. Thaw the potatoes for a while, so that you can break any big lumps. Then directly add it to the egg mixture.
While the onion potato mixture is cooling down, make the egg mixture by whisking eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Mix in potato mixture, cheese and pepper. Pour into a baking tray and bake.
In order to make ahead, after you mix the egg with potato mix, shift to a baking tray. Cover with a foil and refrigirate. if putting the tray directly from the refrigartor, bake it for 10 minutes extra.
How Long to Bake
This bakes at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If you’ve let it sit overnight, it may need a few extra minutes if it’s still quite chilled from the fridge.
Variations You can Make to Potato Breakfast Casserole
You can also add following add ons to the breakfast casserole
- Cooked Sausage (crumbled)
- Cherry tomatoes
After baking, leftover egg casserole can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed within 3-4 days. Leftovers are delicious reheated in the microwave.
Can you freeze breakfast casserole? Yes! This can be stored in the freezer up to four months. Wrap individual and store in freezer bags. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or the oven
More Breakfast Recipes
Bacon Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 10-12 strips Bacon Cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Onion diced
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 large diced potatoes about 3 heaping cups
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and keep it aside.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Remove all the fat using a spoon leaving behind about 2 tablespoons in the skillet.
- Add chopped onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook until onion has softened.
- Add diced potatoes. Sprinkle a large pinch of salt. Cook potato on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. When the potatoes are half cooked through and small brown spots. Switch off the flame. Let it cool down a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk it well.
- Add bacon potato mixture, cheese and chopped red pepper. Mix it.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it. Sprinkle the rest of the cooked bacon on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
- Let it set for 5-10 minutes, for clean slices.