Apple Turnover is the perfect treat in this chilled weather. Flakey puff pastries stuffed with apple and coconut flakes spiked with warm cinnamon.
This Apple turnover recipe with a quick coffee glaze drizzled on top is so so addictive. The bittersweet glaze beautifully balances the flavours. The glaze is my latest favourite. This drizzle works like charm on cinnamon rolls too.
I can't stress enough how important is the coconut flakes and the bittersweet coffee glaze in this recipe. These two components make these Apple turnovers just amazing. If you like you can throw in some toasted nuts into the stuffing as well.
It was a long weekend for us because of Diwali. Cleaning, making snacks for friends, cooking up a feast for the family, bursting crackers and finally partying. It was so much fun, I really didn't want the holiday to get over. It was like a marathon in the kitchen for the last three days. Post-Diwali was seriously a day of rest for me. I just sat and watched Netflix.
But if you really know me, then you would know that I can't be away from the kitchen for too long.I really get impatient if I don't enter my kitchen for more than a day or two. So yesterday finally baked with the frozen puff pastries. These little turnovers are a perfect little way to indulge on a cold chilled evening. Paired with a steamy cup of coffee and a favourite book.
How to Make Apple Turnover?
Looking for more ways to cook with Apple?
Apple Turnovers with Coffee Glaze
- 500 gm pastry sheet frozen
- 1.5 cups apple good quality firm
- ⅓ cup coconut shredded (unsweetened flakes)
- 2 tbsps dark brown sugar
- half lemon Juice of a
- 3 tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder ( You can also use Apple pie spice)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla vanilla extract pure extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch water + 1 tablespoon ( make a paste)
- 2 tbsps butter melted
For Coffee Glaze
- 1 cup sugar confectioners'
- 1 tablespoon espresso instant powder
- 2 tbsps milk
- Peel, core and chop apples to small chunks. Toss them in lemon juice.
- Add Coconut flakes, sugar ,flour ,Cinnamon powder and Vanilla essence to chopped apples. Toss everything well and keep aside.
- Follow the Instruction on the frozen puff pastry package and thaw it. (When I used the pastry sheet it was still cold but soft enough to roll.if you get any cracks while rolling it is fine , you can always pinch the cracks together. )
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Roll the puff pastry sheet block to approximately 24X24 cm circle.Cut into small squares. (I got 9 squares.The number of squares will vary depending upon the size of the square).
- Spoon apple coconut stuffing onto the center of each squares. Fold over from corner to corner into a triangle shape.
- Apply cornstarch paste along the edges and press edges together using a fork(dipped into flour ) to seal. Place turnovers on a baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned. Cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze - Brew milk and instant coffee powder for about 1 minute. Once it is cold add confectioners' sugar.Adjust the thickness by adding more sugar or milk if necessary.
- Drizzle glaze over the cooled turnovers.
Leave a Reply