Apple Cake with chunks of fresh apple, walnut is super moist and a perfect cake with your afternoon tea. With a hint of cinnamon, this cake has tender crumbs and chunks of apple in every bite.
Buttery tender crumbs, chunks of apples in every bite, a slice of this cake is so good with a cup of tea. This Apple Cake with fresh apple is one of our favourites and make its appearance once every couple of weeks.
Whenever I find a few days old apples lying in the fridge, either I turn them to smoothies or make this Apple Cake. What I love about this cake is it is really easy to make, you need only one bowl and a spatula. There is no butter in the cake, so no mess of creaming. It has oil, curd which makes the cake really moist and tender.
MAKE APPLE CAKE HEALTHY
This Apple cake recipe is pretty versatile. I have tried the recipe with half all purpose flour and half whole wheat. The texture is pretty good. You can easily adjust the amount of sugar as per your preference. Mostly I use olive oil but Coconut Oil works great. Basically, this cake can be made healthy and I don’t mind having a slice or two for my breakfast.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR APPLE CAKE?
Choice of apple really doesn’t matter much here. Make sure the apples are crisp and fresh. Granny Smith apples are always better because its tartness holds up against the sweetness of the cake. I have also used Gala apples, Honeycrisp a couple of times with fairly good result.
HOW LONG DOES APPLE CAKE KEEP?
I doubt you will be with any leftovers to store for later. I have kept the cake in an airtight container and it lasts up to 2 days. If kept in the refrigerator, it can easily be stored up to a week. Warm it in the microwave for 30 seconds before serving.
Moist Apple Cake
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 2 Apples
- 3/4 cup Walnuts Toasted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Prepare a 9X13 inch loaf pan. Line with parchment paper.
- Core and peel apples. Cut into small chunks. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl add Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon Powder, Nutmeg, Salt. Whisk well.
- In another bowl add eggs, oil, yoghurt, Vanilla Extract, Light brown sugar and white sugar. Whisk well until everything is mixed and the mixture looks smooth.
- Add dry ingredients mixture in two parts. Mix using a spatula until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Don't overmix.
- Dust 2 teaspoons of flour on chopped Apples. Toss to coat apples with the flour.
- Add coated apples and walnuts to the flour and carefully fold using a spatula.
- Put the batter to the prepared container. Bake at 180-degree Celcius for 50-55 minutes.
- Insert a knife to check if it is done. Remove and let it rest on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Using a knife loosen the edges and flip to a wired rack.
- Let it cool completely before slicing.
- I have tried the recipe with half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. The outcome is great.
- I generally reduce the white sugar amount to 1/4 cup and it is enough sweet for us.
- Baking time varies from oven to oven. So after 45 minutes of baking, if you see it is still not baked fully but has browned at the top. Loosely cover the top of the pan with an aluminium foil.