Chicken Fajita Pasta is a one-pot dinner that takes 30 minutes to make. Creamy pasta with chicken, peppers, onion, and fajita seasoning, you would fall in love with this easy pasta recipe.
This Chicken Fajita Pasta is a marriage between Italian and Mexican flavours. So when you can't decide between the two, then this pasta is the answer.
Juicy chicken, sautéed onions, peppers, and a creamy fajita sauce. And it a one-pot recipe, perfect weeknight meal.
One can not be bored of pasta for sure. We all have our favorite pasta recipes and always a new recipe gets added to the list. What I love about this recipe is - It is a one-pot dish.
Fajita seasoning adds so much flavour to the dish. It also has Chicken and veggies, which makes it a filling meal.
A One-pot Meal
Though I love cooking dishes in which there are many elements and they need to be cooked separately, when it comes to convenience, one-pot meals are fabulous.
There is just so much comfort in cooking a meal in a single pot. Just makes everything simple and cleaner, you end with just one utensil to clean up.
It is just a single pan or vessel used to cook many elements, usually one after the other, and at the end, all of mixed and cooked for some more time.
Gather all the ingredients you need for making Chicken fajita, then pasta, cream and of course cheese. Here is the list of ingredients you will need -
- Pasta - Any short pasta like Penne is good for this recipe.
- Chicken - I have used thin slices of chicken here to match with the pasta.
- Onion & Garlic - Sliced onion and minced garlic
- Peppers - Add different colors to make an appealing dish to plate.
- Chicken Stock - To add flavour to the dish.
- Tomato - Diced tomatoes. You can go for fresh tomatoes too.
- Cream - I have used Half & half here. This is equal parts of milk and cream and is available in retail stores. If you don't get this, milk can be substituted.
- Cheese - Mexican blend or sharp cheddar is preferred.
How to cook Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Choose the right Pan
- This dish is a one-pot meal that has some bulk. Also, you would be cooking pasta, the chicken, and the veggies in the same pan one after the other.
- Choose a big enough Pan or Dutch oven.
- Cook chicken
- Cook the chicken with seasoning.
- Chicken needs to be cooked until it loses the pink color, turns white, and even gets a few browned bits.
- Cook veggies
- Cook onion, garlic, and peppers until they turn a bit soft and lose their rawness.
- Various recipes call for water to be used. I prefer chicken stock here. It gives a wonderful flavour to the pasta when it cooks in the stock.
- Add tomatoes and salt as per taste to the stock. Bring it to a boil and add the raw pasta to it.
- Wait till at least three-fourth of the stock is absorbed by the cooked pasta.
- Mix everything
- Add back the chicken, veggies, and cream to the pasta.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and the pasta is done.
Tips to store fajita pasta
Like other pastas with cheese in them, this can be packed in an air-tight container. You can safely refrigerate them up to 3 days.
When it is time to serve them, take it out and reheat it in a microwave.
More Pasta Recipes...
Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 1 pound Dry Penne Pasta
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 pound Chicken Breast cut into strips
- 1 large Onion Sliced
- 2 cups Peppers (Red/Yellow/Green)
- 1 can Tomatoes 14 oz
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon Fajita seasoning
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a dutch oven/pan big enough to cook pasta.
- Add Chicken, 1 tablespoon of Fajita seasoning. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat until the chicken is no longer pink and light brown bits start appearing.
- Remove chicken from the pan, keep it covered.
- To the same pot add rest of the oil, butter. Stir in sliced onion and peppers. Cook 2-3 minutes until the veggies have softened a bit.
- Add minced garlic, fajita seasoning and paprika. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Remove onion and pepper mixture from the pot and keep aside.
- To the same pot add Stock, tomatoes and season with salt. Let it come to a boil.
- Add dried pasts to the pot. Cover and let it cook. It should take 10-15 minutes.
- When almost 3/4th of the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is almost cooked, add cream, Chicken and Onion pepper mixture back to the pot. Mix everything well.
- Add shredded cheese to the pan and gently mix everything well.
- Serve hot.