Ever since I have visited a local Maharastrian restaurant and had Kolhapuri special thali,I badly wanted to try the dishes at home. I loved the contrast of tambda rasa,pandhara rasa. The spiciness was well balanced by the tangy and cold sol kadhi
Fortunately few days later,I came across an authentic recipe of kollhapuri masala in a Facebook foodie group Sikandalous Cuisine. Anagha Godbole was too sweet to share her mother's recipe of Kolhapuri masala. After seeing the recipe I knew that I have to try this soon. We really loved the outcome. We had this with some phulkas and sol kadhi
The remaining masala I used for chicken curry and misal pav. Yes,the masala is quite versatile,that is what Anagha says
- 1 kg mutton (cut into medium sized pieces)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
For Kolhapuri Masala:
- 1 cup Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut shredded dry
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 Poppy seeds tbps
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup onions ,roughly chopped
- 8 - 10 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 cup red chilli powder
- 2 - 3 chillies red
- 1 Bay leaf
- 5 cloves
- 2 cardamom green
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tomato medium
- 8 tbsps masala kolhapuri
- Marinate mutton with ginger,garlic paste,turmeric,salt and lemon,at least for an hour.
- Dry roast all the spices mentioned under dry masala until fragrant.
- Take 2 tbsp oil,fry onion and garlic till nicely brown.(I used fried onion instead).
- Once the roasted spices cools down,grind to a fine powder.Make paste of onion,garlic,coriander leaves.
- In a bowl mix properly the wet masala and dry masala.keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan (I used pressure cooker) put oil.once oil is heat. Add the whole spices.let it fragrant.
- Add onion to the pan,saute till its cooked and nicely browned.Add tomatoes.fry until tomatoes are cooked.
- Add marinated mutton. saute in high heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat,add 7-8 tbsp kolhapuri masala.mix it well. Cook on low medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Add required amount of water and cook until mutton is cooked properly.