This post may include affiliate links that earn us a small commission.
Asian Sauteed Green Beans with caramelized onion, garlic and a dash of soy sauce is an easy and versatile side dish. It takes only 20 minutes to make,the beans turn out tender and crispy.
Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
Sauteed green beans are one of those versatile side dishes, that appears on our menu quite frequently. Green beans sauteed in oil, garlic and onion until looks blistered while still crisp and tender. Soy sauce adds a nice savoury twist to the dish. This super-easy side dish can be easily paired with so many main dishes.
If you are looking for a side dish to serve on Thanksgiving or Christmas which is a bit different and also delicious, then look no further. I am also going to share a few tips to cook with fresh green beans.
A few things that I absolutely love about this green beans preparation. First is slowly caramelized onion adds a nice sweetness in every bite and soy sauce gives that Umami flavour.
How To Prepare Green Beans?
To prepare green beans we need to remove the strings. Use a kitchen knife to trim both the ends and pull down the tips to remove the string. In case of stringless beans just trim both the ends.
If you are using frozen green beans, then you can save time prepping. There is no need for trimming in case of Frozen green beans.
How To Cook Green Beans?
Ok. so before cooking green beans along with other aromatics I prefer to blanch. Blanching beans helps to retain its vibrant green colour and also quicken the cooking process. Don’t forget to season the water with plenty of salt. Add cleaned and trimmed beans to a pot of seasoned boiling water, cook it for 3-4 minutes. Drain and place in a pot of ice water. Once it has cooled down, put it in a colander and drain.
You can blanch beans a couple of days ahead and keep it refrigerated until ready to cook.
Can I use Frozen Green Beans?
If you are using frozen green beans, then there is no need for blanching. Frozen green beans are already trimmed and blanched before freezing. Just thaw them and drain as much water as possible before cooking.
Tips To Make Best Sauteed Greens
- Start with cleaning and trimming the beans. Then blanch in seasoned water. Drain as much water as possible before adding to the pan.
- If the beans are too long cut them into half, it is more convenient to eat.
- Once the oil is hot add thinly sliced onion. Cook onions slowly until it has softened and starts to brown. The onion will burn if cooked on high heat, so keep string it once in a while.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt while cooking Onion. It fastens the cooking process.
- You can also sautee some mushrooms separately and add it to the pan.
- Try to use Low sodium soy sauce.
- As soy sauce has a salt, taste before adding more salt to the dish at the end.
- Avoid overcooking. Soft and mushy beans do not taste great.
- For extra crunch sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top while serving.
What to serve with Sauteed Green Beans?
A perfect side dish and goes well with various types of main dishes. Serve it alongside some protein or I love to have it with a bowl of rice. Here are a few serving suggestions.
Asian Sauteed Green Beans
- 500 grams Green Beans Fresh/Frozen
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 medium Onion Thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Clean and trim the green beans. Add to a pot of seasoned boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Then drain and put it in ice water to stop the cooking process.
- In a pan heat oil. Once hot, add thinly sliced onion. Cook on low-medium heat until the onion has softened and start browning. It will take around 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for another 1 minute until it is aromatic.
- Add in green beans to the pan. Cook the green beans, tossing occasionally, until soft and starting to blister and brown spots start to appear. For about 5-7 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, pepper to the pan, toss and cook for another 1 minute. Check slat and add more if required.
- Serve and Enjoy!!