Quick and easy fresh green beans stir-fried with peanuts,coconut, and garlic. Crunchy green beans coated with crushed peanut,coconut and garlic make this a perfect side dish for your meal. If you are looking for a side dish for thanksgiving and want to be little adventurous with flavors then you gotta try this.
Green beans are regular at home. My husband is a big fan of this vegetable and he always make sure it is added to the cart during our weekly shopping. I usually do a stir fry with lots of onion or South Indian style thoran. Beans stir fry works best with hot steamed rice or phulkas.
Now coming to this peanut,coconut, and garlic masala, I use this masala as a base for my eggplant and ridge gourd curry. Roast the vegetables,towards the end add chopped tomato and the peanut powder. Cook for some more time the added water for desired consistency. You will get a creamy flavourful gravy and an interesting makeover to regular curries. I had learned this masala from one of my friends during my stay in Mysore. Coarsely ground roasted peanuts along with garlic and chili powder,then tossed in desiccated coconut. I just love this mix and can have it as it.
Considering the health benefit of green beans I like to cook till its just tender and cooked. The crunch and natural sweetness that comes from beans is just amazing. If you don't like or allergic to peanuts you can certainly use almond or any other nuts of your choice (the flavour might vary depending on the nuts used).
Hope you will give this fairly simple recipe a try 🙂
Green Beans with Peanuts,Coconut and Garlic
- 250 gms green beans fresh
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- ½ cup peanuts roasted unsalted (see notes)
- ⅓ cup coconut fresh/frozen grated
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- pinch sugar of
- to taste salt
- Trim the ends of beans.In a big pot bring lightly salted water to a boil. Drop in the beans. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes (make sure you don't cook the vegetable fully. it should be just tender yet crisp).
- Once done remove the beans with the help of a slotted spoon and place in a colander. Place the colander under running cold tap water to stop further cooking. Alternately you can put the beans in pot filled with ice-cold water.
- Roughly chop garlic pods. In a coffee or spice blender add roasted peanuts,chopped garlic and chili powder. Grind to a coarse powder.(The powder might appear little oily not like a dry powder. That's fine).
- In a wok add oil. Once hot add grated fresh coconut. Roast till its aromatic and light golden in colour. Add peanut garlic chili powder. Mix well and roast everything on low fame 5 -6 minutes,scraping the bottom in between.
- Toss in green beans.Sprinkle sugar and adjust salt. Fry for 4-5 minutes till beans is coated well.
- Serve warm.