Simple Chicken and Cabbage stir fry with aromatics like garlic and curry powder is really quick to make. This Cabbage stir fry is delicious and low carb.
A simple Cabbage Stir fry with Chicken, warm spices is a healthy family-friendly meal. Juicy tender chicken and slightly crunchy cabbage, this Cabbage stir fry recipe is a clear winner.
What sets this recipe apart from others is the use of curry powder. It is so flavourful that even a cabbage hater would ask for a second serving.
Cabbage is a very common vegetable in India. We make stirfries of different kinds, Cook it with lentils, make fritters and also use in salads. But Chicken and cabbage is not a usual combination. When I was on Keto, instead of stir-frying cabbage and chicken separately, I mixed them together. The recipe is the same as the regular Cabbage stir fry that we have been eating since forever. And now this combination appears frequently in our menu.
How To Make Cabbage Stir Fry With Chicken?
- Start with sauteing onion and garlic in oil until aromatic.
- Then add the dry spices and cook for 30 seconds. Cooking spices in oil helps to develop flavour. After adding dry spices, the mixture tends to burn, so keep an eye and cook in low flame.
- Then add chicken to the pan. I like to use chicken thighs here because they remain juicy and have very fewer chances of getting dry. You can also use chicken breast but need to take care of the cooking time.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add shredded cabbage. Cook until the cabbage is cooked yet there is a crunch to it.
Few Helpful Tips...
- This freezes really well so you can make a big batch of it and freeze it.
- To save time use shredded cabbage available in supermarkets.
- If using a big head of cabbage then use the required amount here and rest you can shred and freeze. If you love cabbage as much as I do, then give this Low Carb Cabbage Chicken Taco Soup a try.
- Cabbage once cooked tend to lose a lot of water. So aa salt towards the end when the quantity has reduced more than half. By doing so you will get an idea on the amount of salt you need to add.
STEP BY STEP VIDEO
Cabbage Stir Fry with Chicken
- 250 grams Chicken Thigh Cut into thin strips
- 3-4 cups Cabbage Shredded
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 small Onion Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon mild Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- salt to taste
- Start by heating oil in a pan. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until onions have softened and no more raw smell coming from it.
- Add all the spices and cook for 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes along with the onion spice mixture.
- Add shredded cabbage to the pan, give everything a good mix. Cover and let the cabbage cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the cabbage is cooked and reduced to half of the quantity season with salt. Mix well.
- If you want the cabbage to be soft and well cooked, then after adding salt cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve along with some rice if prefered.
- Add a chopped red bell pepper or a carrot for variation.
- If you don't have curry powder, add roasted cumin powder instead.
- Adjust the amount of chilli powder as per taste.