Creamy Spinach Soup recipe is easy, delicious and loaded with the goodness of spinach. There is only Spinach in here, thickened with cream cheese and a good dose of freshly cracked black pepper.
This Spinach Soup Recipe is a great way to include spinach in our diet. Look at the vibrant rich colour of this Spinach Soup. It not only looks refreshing but also is very light and delicious. This soup is a great way of including green leafy vegetables to your diet. Except for the green colour, you could hardly get the taste of Spinach in it. So a spinach hater like my daughter who runs away at the sight of greens finished a big bowl of it in just 10 minutes.
I am not kidding here guys, this Spinach soup really tastes fantastic. It is refreshing, creamy but not very rich on the palate. There are no other vegetables like potato, Zucchini, which is generally used to give the soup a body. There is only 100% spinach. It takes less than 30 minutes to make it.
Wondering if Spinach Soup is Healthy For You?
There is no doubt that Green leafy vegetables are loaded with dietary fibre and should be included in our daily diet. But many don't like the taste of Spinach. I am also one of them who don't like Spinach unless it is prepared in certain ways. This Spinach soup is definitely one of my favourites.
Spinach soup is healthy and filled with nutritional benefits. Spinach is not cooked for too long in this recipe, so it does not lose any nutrition.
Another ingredient here is cream cheese, which I am sure would worry you. Cream cheese though is high on calories, it is packed with good saturated fat. And 20 gram of cream cheese is barely 50 calories.
Basically this soup is loaded with iron, dietary fibre, good fat and a lot of other nutrients.
How To Cook Spinach For This Spinach Soup Recipe?
Technically we are just blanching the spinach here, not boiling it. Blanching process is nothing but cooking spinach in boiling water for 20-30 seconds and immediately plunging it to ice water to stop the cooking process. This method of cooking not only retains the nutritional value of Spinach, but it also keeps the vibrant green colour intact.
Can We Use Frozen Spinach Instead?
While this Spinach Soup recipe calls for fresh Spinach, you can certainly use frozen Spinach instead. Frozen SPinach usually comes handy when you run out of fresh Spinach leaves. If using frozen Spinach leaves, completely thaw it and squeeze as much liquid as possible before adding it to the pan.
More Soup Recipes...
Creamy & Healthy Spinach Soup
- 1 pound Fresh Spinach Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 small Onion
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Minced
- 1 Jalapeno Sliced
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock warm
- 4 ounce Cream Cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup Freshly grated parmesan Cheese (more to sprinkle on top)
- ½ teaspoon Salt (Adjust as per taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly grated black pepper (Adjust as per taste)
- Bring a big pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, in another bowl keep ice cold water ready.
- Add cleaned Spinach leave to the pot of boiling water. Cook briefly for around 30 seconds.
- Then immediately remove from hot water and plunge Spinach for the ice bath.
- Let the spinach sit in ice bath for 5-6 minutes. Then drain it in a colander and keep aside.
- In another soup pot, melt butter.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Let the onion soften and raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Add one chopped Jalapeno ( Deseed it if you don't want the heat). Cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in blanched SPinach, warm vegetable stock, Cream Cheese, salt and pepper. Let it cook for around 1-2 minute.
- Switch off the flame. Using an immersion blender blend until it is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm topped with more grated parmesan and sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper