This One Pot Italian Sausage Orzo Soup with Spicy Italian Sausage, Orzo Pasta with rich tomato flavour is delicious and takes only 20 minutes to make.
Delicious Italian Sausage Soup with Orzo is our new favorite. It has so much flavour and texture in every spoonful of it. A loaf of crusty bread and a big bowl of this soup is going to be a winter comfort food.
Refreshing tomato-based broth, spicy Italian Sausage, Orzo pasta, and Spinach, this Soup is very satisfying and filling. I am sure this Sausage Orzo soup will get you through the winter.
Soup doesn't have to be boring and bland. Soup can easily be made tasty and healthy at the same time. And it took me years to convince the same to my husband. And now he can happily have a bowl of soup for dinner.
This Sausage Soup is already a household favourite. Tomato Soup is an all-time favourite and I make it very frequently. When the regular Tomato Soup gets an upgrade with spicy sausage and pasta, it is even better, isn't it? My little one was very excited to see those cute little Orzo pasta and of course, there was a lot of cheese on the top for her.
How to make Italian Sausage Orzo Soup
Making Sausage Orzo Soup is pretty easy and quick. It comes together in just 20 minutes and you need only one pot to make it. Start with caramelising the Onion and garlic in oil. Break sausage to small chunks and brown along with onion and garlic. We are talking about big flavours here and frying onion, garlic in oil, and brown the sausage are what will give you flavours.
Browning and caramelizing the sausage helps to release flavourful oil to the pan. Once the browning is done, just dump all the ingredients to the pan except Spinach and let it cook till the pasta is done. Then add the spinach and let it soften. Tada!! it is done.
But wait! What's comfort food without cheese or cream??? Well, you are not going to miss your favorite creamy Chicken soup because I have taken care of that. Add a couple of tablespoons of cream and sprinkle a handful of parmesan cheese at the end before serving.
How to make in the Crockpot
While it is always easy and quick to make things on the stovetop, Slow cooking comes handy when you don't want active involvement. This Italian Sausage Orzo Soup can easily be made in a crockpot. It can't be a total dump and forget kind of recipe. Browning of Onion, garlic, and sausage is an essential step to release all the flavours. So before adding all the ingredients to the slow cooker, it is important to brown in a pan.
Once the meat is browned, add Onion, garlic, Sausage Mixture to the Crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients (except Spinach, cream, and cheese). Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. 20 minutes before the cooking time ends, add spinach to the pot. after 10 minutes add cream and cheese to the pot.
More Soup Recipes
Italian Sausage Soup With Orzo
- 500 grams Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 cup Orzo Pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Onion
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1 28 Oz Crushed Tomato
- 2 tspn Italian Seasoning
- ½ tspn red chili Flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Spinach (Tightly Packed)
- ¼ cup Half and Half
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese (to serve)
- Heat Oil in a heavy bottom pan. Once Warm add chopped onion and garlic. Saute until the onion has softened and raw garlic smell is gone.
- Roughly break sausages to small chunks. Add to the pan. Saute for 5-6 minutes until they are browned and aromatic. Break any bigger chunk of sausage.
- Deglaze the pot by adding stocks. Scarp the bottom of the pan to remove any brown bits. Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, chilli flakes, salt and pepper
- When the stock comes to a boil stir in Orzo Pasta,
- Cover and let it cook for 8-10 minutes in the medium-low heat until Orzo is almost cooked. Stir in between to prevent Orzo from getting stuck at the bottom.
- Stir in Spinach to the pot and let it cook for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Stir in half and half.
- Serve with a generous topping of parmesan cheese.