This cosy Sausage Tortellini Soup is delicious and takes less than 15 minutes to make in an Instant Pot. A bowl of Creamy Tomato based broth, Sausage, Cheesy soft Tortellini and a generous sprinkle of parmesan is filling and flavourful. _
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup is hearty and delicious. Made with flavourful Italian Sausage, tortellini pasta, Garlic, Onion, Tomato and has a light hearty broth. This soup is a meal in itself, so you don't have to worry about making a side or maybe a simple leafy green salad is just enough. Best of all, it is made in an Instant Pot in just 15 minutes.
Winter is slowly setting in and soups are appearing on our dinner table quite frequently. So definitely you are going to see more and more soup recipes here on the blog for next couple of months.
Sausage Tortellini Soup - Our new favourite soup
Tomato-based soup is one of our favourites at home. Absolutely love the refreshingly sweet and tangy taste that tomato gives. If you are a regular reader, then I am sure you might have tried ONE POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE ORZO SOUP or this simple TOMATO BISQUE.
Using Tortellini pasta in a soup instead of regular Pasta definitely makes the soup special. Bonus is you can use your favourite filled tortellini. The broth is slightly flavourful and refreshing. It is not overly creamy. The pasta absorbs all the flavours and becomes pillowy soft.
Add a handful of kale or spinach to make it a filling meal. Sneak in some veggies like carrot or add some canned white bean if you wish.
I prefer mild Italian Sausage but go ahead substitute it with Sweet Sausage, Smokey sausages or Spicy Italian Sausage instead. Play with different flavours and I am sure it would be delicious every time.
I have made this recipe in an Instant pot because you know that the cool kitchen gadget that everyone is raving about. But nothing changes if you make it in a slow cooker or on the stovetop.
Sausage Tortellini Soup - in Slow Cooker
There is nothing like the house filled with the aroma of soup cooking slowly in a slow cooker. So if you want the soup to be slowly cooking in the crockpot the whole day and ready by the dinner time, then here is how you are going to make it. Heat oil in a pan. Saute chopped onion and garlic for a while until softens about 1-2 minutes. Add Sausage and cook until it no longer looks pink. Then shift sausage mixture to the pan, add rest of the ingredients except tortellini and cream. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours. Add dried tortellini and cream to the slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes on high.
Sausage Tortellini Soup - On the Stovetop
Making this soup on the stovetop is pretty straight forward. Start with sauteing onion and garlic in hot oil, until it has softened and raw smell has disappeared. Then add crumbled sausages and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add Crushed Tomatoes, Tomato paste, seasoning and Stock. Mix well and let it come to a boil, then lower heat. Let the stock cook on low for 10 minutes. Then add dried tortellini. Let it cook until it is tender, add more stock if required, followed by half and half. Mix everything well and switch off the flame.
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 250 grams Dried Cheese Tortellini
- 200 grams Italian Sausage
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 can dice Tomato (14.5 oz )
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- salt to taste
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Half & Half increase up to 1 cup for a more creamier soup
- Grated parmesan and chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode. When hot add oil.
- Stir in chopped onion and garlic. Saute for a minute for the onion to soften and raw garlic smell has disappeared.
- Add crumbled sausage to the pan. Brown it for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Tomato paste, Italian seasoning, chilli flakes, salt and 2 cups stock( reserve the rest to add later). Mix everything well (Scarp bottom of the pan to release any stuck brown bits)
- Stir in dried tortellini.
- Switch to Manual mode. Cover the lid. Set for 4 minutes on high pressure.
- It will take around 5 minutes to come to full pressure and the timer to start.
- When 4 minute ends, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Release rest of the pressure manually.
- Once all the pressure is released, carefully open the lid.
- Switch to sautee mode again. Add rest of the stock and half & half. Stir gently.
- Let it cook for another 30 seconds or so. Switch off the pot.
- Serve with grated parmesan and chopped parsley sprinkled on top.
- Don't add all the stock at once. If there is too much f liquid, then it might come from the nozzle while releasing the pressure manually.
- The Soup might look bit on the thinner side initially, but the tortellini will absorb quite a bit of liquid even after you switch off the pot.
- Adjsut the amount of salt towards the end. Sausage and the stock both contains some amount to salt.
Products we recommend
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to products that we use or recommend. While it is at no additional cost to you, these links help us earn a commission from any purchase that happens through them.